Attractions and Recreational Opportunities
Van Buren county is one of the few places that can guarantee you a "dull moment" if that's what you desire. You'll not find fast-food restaurants here, nor a single stop light. We move at a slightly different pace
But if that's not your style . . . we have an abundance of recreational opportunities to offer you and your family to fit most every interest.
- Trails - You'll find miles worth of Hiking and Biking trails including the Keo Loop Trail and designated bike trails throughout the county. Within Lacey-Keosauqua State Park, you will find multiple hiking options for different endurance levels. Explore the Van Buren County Water Trail by canoe or kayak. You'll find 41 miles of beautiful Des Moines river scenery running from Selma to Farmington.
- Fishing - The Des Moines River offers excellent opportunities for the fisherman. Channel cat, bass, carp, perch, walleye and other species are frequently taken. Lake Sugema, a 574-acre multi-purpose lake offers some of the best, if not the best, fishing in southeast Iowa. The lake has been stocked with largemouth bass, bluegill, black crappie, channel catfish and walleye.
- Hunting - Van Buren County boasts over 9,000 acres of state forests, Chequest Wildlife Area, west of Keosauqua; Lindsay wilderness, Bonaparte, Shimek State Forest, Farmington and Keosauqua; 3,000 acres surrounding Lake Sugema; plus other public and private areas are available for hunting. White tail deer thrive in the county, and hunter access is excellent. Quail and ring-necked pheasants can also be found throughout the county. Guide services are available from several sources.
- Golf, Tennis and Swimming - are available at the Riverview Country Club located at the south edge of Keosauqua.
- Historical Sites - As one of Iowa's earliest settled counties and communities, Keosauqua is rich in history. More Info
- Antiques & Collectibles - Keosauqua and Van Buren County as a whole is a favorite area of antique seekers. Nearly all of our Villages of Van Buren have something in this line to offer.
- Farmers Market-Every Tuesday from 4-6 PM in the Keosauqua City Park. Visit the market for fresh produce May 22nd - Oct. 9th.
- Van Buren County Scenic Drive Festival- Second Full Weekend in October (October 12-14th, 2018)