> Van Buren County Courthouse
Van Buren County Courthouse
Built in 1840, Keosauqua has the oldest continuously operational courthouse in Iowa, & the second oldest in the United States.
The Federal-styled structure was completed in 1843 and was one of the largest building west of the Mississippi River at that time.
In 1846, the courthouse was the site for the first legal death sentencing in Iowa, with the subsequent execution taking place in nearby Hangman's Hollow.
The original courtroom has been restored, is open to the public, & tours are available when court is not is session. For more information on the Van Buren Courthouse, please call 800-TOURVBC or 319-293-7111.