Historical Sites

Villages History

Keosauqua, at 1,076 occupants, is the largest of the villages of Van Buren whose total county population numbers just 7,836. Keosauqua was laid out in early 1839 wel... More >

Van Buren County Courthouse

Built in 1840, Keosauqua has the oldest continuously operational courthouse in Iowa, & the second oldest in the United States. The Federal-styled structure was ... More >

Pearson House

Constructed in 1847, this half-stone & half-brick home is one of the most memorable house in Keosauqua. A prominent stop on the Underground Railroad, escaping... More >

Twombly Building Museum

Built in the 1870's, for Congressional Medal of Honor winner Voltaire P. Twombly the Twombly Building is the only remaining large stone building in Keosauqua. This ... More >

Hotel Manning

With the appearance of a riverboat beached upon the banks of the Des Moines River, Hotel Manning offers a functional glimpse of the late 19th century. Originally bu... More >

Old Manning Mansion

Located high on the hill in Keosauqua, this stately mansion was built circa 1870 by Edwin Manning, a founder of Keosauqua, of brick that was fired on the site. The ... More >

Ely Ford Mormon Crossing

During the middle of the 19th century, the great Mormon trek westward across Iowa occurred. Ely Ford, located within Lacey-Keosauqua State Park, now the site of a b... More >

Historic Hills Scenic Byway

Magnificent state forests welcome you to the Historic Hills Scenic Byway which takes travelers on a journey through Wapello, Appanoose, Davis, Van Buren and Lee co... More >